How to ACE Your A-Levels

Updated for 2018 and applicable for exams in 2019/2020, How to ACE your A-Levels teaches you how to ACE your exams. No matter how smart or behind you may think you are this book will teach you how to revise… properly!

This is my story. I was an average student in a typical state school. I was by no means a ‘geek’ or conversely, a ‘bad-boy’. I was just a normal guy. I went to all my lessons and did my homework. I did everything my teachers told me to. BUT, I failed my AS levels.

I was shocked, how did I fail when school had given me all the information I needed to pass the exams? I knew it was something to do with the way I worked and the solution would be to rectify my revision technique. I formulated a handful of simple strategies tailored to the specific type of learning in each of my subjects. I created detailed plans on how to absorb the information to perform and achieve my target of at least 3 A’s out of 4 subjects.

One year later, I finished college with straight A grades. At university, I used the same principles and techniques to motivate myself, and it worked. I left UCL (University College London) with a first class honours degree. My results were in the top 5 percent of the year and I was awarded with a commendation of excellence by the Dean of Students. Since my AS levels, I have never failed an exam, and I have full faith that I never will.

Over the years, with the help of the co-author of this book, I gathered all these techniques and produced a 3 step plan for students.

Step 1 is ‘Method’. We tell you what top students do to secure top marks in exams. Here we cover repetition theory, the most effective memorisation techniques and discuss how to tailor your learning technique to the subjects you are taking.

Step 2 is the ‘Study Cycle’. For years I’ve heard the term ‘work hard’ thrown around with no explanation. I believe ‘working hard’ is a skill in itself which must be understood and practiced as much as any A level subject. Here we provide case studies and examples of other students and their day to day habits during the academic year to help you gauge how much is enough.

Step 3 is ‘Motivation’. This section provides the fuel for the ‘Study Cycle’. We show you how to increase your attention span through simple and effective tricks. Furthermore, we discuss the damaging insecurities that hold you back from reaching your maximum potential and help you tackle them head on.

Read this book and you will be armed with techniques that will help you ACE your A-levels and equip you for any other exams during the rest of your life.

• £9.99/ Book
  • Ebook - Amazon Kindle
    • Don’t have a kindle? Click on the link below and get a free kindle reading app when you buy.
  • Buy Now
  • £13.99/ Book
  • Printed Book – Amazon
    • Dispatched within 2 working days and mailed 1st class
  • BUY NOW
  • £12.99/ Book
  • PRINTED BOOK – ACADEMIC UNDERDOGS STORE (10% OFF!)
    • Dispatched in 1 working day and mailed 1st class.
  • BUY NOW

Reviews

WHAT’S INSIDE?

Detailed guidance on revision planning

and study technique

Proven 3-step plan to help you secure top grades and a place at a top university

Relatable & honest advice from authors who have done it before

Interviews with students who turned their Ds into As & A*s.

Get your free PDF!

97 Comments
  • Cara

I have 87 days before my first A Level and im half way through reading your book but im struggling to motivate myself to start revising and I’m really not sure how to start concentrating and taking it all in because I’ve a lot to learn for my 4 AS levels, lack of focus and constant distractions is my problem, any tips?

March 14, 2016 at 12:58 am
  • Hi,
    One way I revise is by reading the notes I have made over and over again and creating mind maps , so far this has worked for me as I achieved good grades in A2 mocks ( e.g. B in economics). So should I carry on with this method which is working for me, or start using the scribble technique to get higher marks?
    Thank you.

March 8, 2016 at 2:49 pm
  • Sashika Liyanage

Hi, is the scribble technique effective for everyone?

March 6, 2016 at 7:48 pm
  • Sagar Joshi

Hello, Raja, I read your book, I do four subjects at AS Maths, IT, Computer Science and Economics. I really like your book, but the problem is I procrastinate so much I even deleted things which distracted me but somehow I still procrastinate. I always have like a break down every few days that I am going to fail. Now I started the first layer my first exam is 16th May I am so scared because if I keep on procrastinating like this I don’t know I will succeed. I have friends who are retaking AS and I don’t want to retake a whole A level I had mocks a few weeks back and I ended up with A in IT course work B, E and E. I have a problem with Time management I always seem to like look up videos on time management and procrastination. Moreover, I also feel like I just can’t focus I had Maths revision in the half term but half of the time I was there my mind was somewhere else. It is so annoying please help me, Raja.

Sagar

February 20, 2016 at 8:39 pm
      • Sagar J Joshi

Thank you very much for your reply I am doing my best and I learned that people were not born intelligent through hard work and practice people have become intelligent so that’s exactly what I am going to do. Thank you again

Sagar

April 2, 2016 at 10:32 am
  • Mark Scott

How long would you advise to take on each side in the texbook during each rep? Because I’m sure in the 2nd and 3rd rep you will be able to do it quicker but how long for each? Just needing a rough estimate, some of my pages are quite detailed as this is for History.

January 20, 2016 at 3:11 pm
  • Alika

Hi,
    I have recently brought your book. I have noticed that it heavily depends on the scribble tecnique but I don’t have any text books because they’re change the specification, so bar french I have nothing to scribble from! How do you think I should approach this?

January 19, 2016 at 9:19 pm
  • Alika Lee

HELP!! my courses don’t have text books because the spec has changed,I have one for French but not for English lit philosophy and classical civilisation… there is one for classics but it’s more than 200 pounds! I can’t use the scribble technique because I cannot get any books. After my mock results I have no idea how to approach this!!

Stressing!!
    Alika
    ps your book is absolutely amazing

January 18, 2016 at 8:10 pm
  • Maryam Sohail

Hi. I purchased your book a few days ago. And today we got our mock exam timetable. Exams are starting in three weeks (Monday 8 Feb to 11 Feb). How am I supposed to follow up with three layers on such a short time? I’m horrible with time management. Can you please help me manage my time. I take physics, chemistry and maths(mech).
    Thank you so much. :’)

January 13, 2016 at 10:58 pm
  • anonymous

I have 13 exams in the summer, so far I’ve only got to doing a strong layer on my a2 modules as well as doing all the questions in the maths a2 books, but I still got a long way to go as I’m retaking 2 biology modules, 1 physics and 3 maths (AS). Layer 1 took much longer than I thought as it took me alot of time to understand the concepts in biology and physics. As you can see I got a packed exam time table and I just wanted advice on how you would timetable revision towards exams, when to start layer 2, should I start exam papers for the a2 modules I already learnt, I still need to learn 3 AS modules. ( I’m not too worried about the maths 3 AS modules).
    I know I should be confident but I’m feeling overwhelmed, I feel it’s in my nature to be pessimistic and there’s just a obstacle of not being confident going into exams I can’t yet overcome.

January 12, 2016 at 5:15 pm
      • anonymous

Yes I have completed the first layer for my a2 modules using the endorsed textbook. I’ve also realised this textbook doesnt contain the optional topic which is 4 chapters in my unit 5 physics which i have not covered. I think i could push to fully complete A2 layer 1 by the end of this month.

January 13, 2016 at 1:09 pm
  • Emily Bannistet

Hi How to ace your A-Levels, I have a quick question, in your book subjects are categorised into 3 sections: fact recall, method and understanding and written prose. Which category do you think Spanish would fall into?
    Thanks Emily